The second trailer of Chiranjeevi’s Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy came out at 5:31 pm today. A better, bigger, improved version of the first trailer that was out last month.
My five takeaways.
1. Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy could well be Baahubali Part 3. Every frame, what we have seen so far in the two trailers, seem inspired by Baahubali. The war sequences in particular, are cut from the same Rajamouli cloth. How people will react to a Baahubalian product having been overfed on two parts, will be the million dollar question.
2. Chiranjeevi clearly has given everything to this role. He has put in effort both in the acting and action sequences and it shows. This is the Megastar’s Mega offering, his Alluri Sitaramaraju, one that he would hope his fans in Telugu land remember him by.
3. Sye Raa is a visual extravaganza, make no mistake about it. The camerawork and packaging of the epic battles scenes is top-notch. Indian cinema has not seen a period patriotic film in recent times that would match up to this sense of grandeur. The background score elevates the film and is bound to be a treat for viewers who love the big screen spectacle.
4. The makers of the movie are hoping on the evoking the nationalistic spirit in order to get the box office ringing. A sequence that looks like the Kurnool version of the Jallianwaala Bagh massacre and Chiranjeevi’s character being asked “Tell me your last wish in one sentence” answered by “Get out of my motherland” are bound to be the highlights of the movie.
5. Watching the trailer makes you feel Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy is all about the battlefield. Shorn of quality emotional content, focusing on the swords and the horses, may fatique the viewer. At the end of the day, it is how different a patriotic film is presented makes the difference. After all, the same Aamir Khan delivered a hit with Lagaan but dished out a bomb with Mangal Pandey. There is a lesson in that.